Saturday 9 April 2011

First Week Reflections

Phew! What a mammoth five days!  Being away doing work experience wasn’t the easiest, knowing that I was missing time with A and N as a group and, of course, missing teaching sessions and having the chance to ask as many questions as I wanted, as soon as they presented themselves.  Drawing blocks is not a problem area for me; I don’t always get them right the first time – I think you would be hard-pressed to find a professional maker who got every single block they drew absolutely perfect first time – but I enjoy the process of resolution: follow some convoluted, seemingly random instructions and produce a line drawing that resembles a (geometric) figure shape, and then have some fun in moving them around.  Voila! 
So, I got back a week and a half into the project with three patterns that I hopped were ok, but was not too hopeful as I was not 100% sure of the validity of the measurements I had been given.  Having A and N that much further ahead of me was both an extra help to push on and get to the same level as they were, and also very useful as I was asking all the same questions that they had come up against, and now had the answers too.  It was unfortunate that our tutor was not able to spend very much of the first 2 (out of 4) days we had left before the Easter holidays, but he graciously stopped by on his way through from one meeting to the next every so often when we hurled 1,000,000 questions at him.  I think this has made us work closer as a group – though if we had been many more than 3, this wouldn’t have been so effective –and become more independent.  Each of us had a different sort of fabric to work with and A has a slightly different design to N and me, too, so we are all doing our own thing, together.

 

We also all have a good attitude towards tea and biscuits...


No comments:

Post a Comment