Friday 13 May 2011

Reflection on the week


This week has, yet again been full of interesting new techniques and steps, accompanied by a beginners’ frustration and more than a little tiredness.  Nearly at the end of this project, and the end of the academic year, we are all rather ready to go home and take a good, properly restorative rest.  WE just have to hang on to our sanity for a few days more...
The checks continue to be a source of difficulty, but it is part of the challenge of this project and I am not sorry that I ended up with them.  I have to keep reminding myself that this is my first suit, my first time working with checks and a whole lot of other ‘firsts’.  I will, and am, trying my best, but I know that not everything will be 100% perfect.  I am pleased with what I have done, and am very pleased with how all three pieces look together, all being out of the same fabric and all those hours lining up the checks does pay off.
There is a huge amount of work to go into the jacket – hand stitching, new pattern pieces, preparation for future steps being laid down, hidden pieces of canvas and stayflex, and of course the machine sewing that is always followed by hand tacking and a light press at the iron.

With the extension having been given, I am more relaxed about hand-in, even though I was given an extension until the following Monday if I needed it.  I feel better about handing in alongside the other two though, and I am confident at getting everything done that was in my learning agreement by the Wednesday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment