Monday 2 May 2011

Ladybird, ladybird fly away home


So, my best friend and I clubbed up together this weekend and decided to keep each other working by supplying good company, good music* and someone to commiserate with, go for lunch-walks with and watch movies with in the evenings.  She is studying Law and has exams looming, so was revising with papers, cases, coloured pens and a dictionary; I was tackling the fly, pockets and side seams on the trousers and the pockets on the waistcoat, pacing back and forth between the sewing machine and the ironing board.  

I admit I had to make two of the pieces over a couple of times as I made certain mistakes – putting them together upside-down or back-to-front, sewing up and clipping the wrong side.  But I sat my head straight eventually and it all came together.  

Sewing up the side seams I was quite pleased with: It required matching the checks down the very visible outside length of the leg** and stitching right up to, but not over, the opening edge of the pocket.  This is so that, while the pocket is not being used, it should be invisible; only when the gentleman puts his hand in his pocket would its existence become obvious, melting out of the side-seam like a secret entrance, only evident at certain moments.

And mine came out Just Right.


________
*We both listen to a variety of music and, with both of us chipping in with suggestions we covered quite a bit of ground; from Wicked to Avatar, Katherine Jenkins and Michael Ball to Avril Lavigne and Nightwish, country and western to modern worship.
**When you are 6’4” there is quite a bit of leg-check matching to go on^! 
^and it is very noticeable when you get it wrong...

No comments:

Post a Comment